We have facilitated distribution of all the data from GOLD through the excel files in order to support scientists around the world who would like to get the data and perform their own analysis and eventually publish their results. We intent to continue supporting this sort of usage by providing all the data through an excel file. However, we have recently noticed an increasing number of cases where colleagues were downloading the data in order to feed the development of systems replicating GOLD's functionality. We are putting tremenodus amount of effort to collect and curate the metadata for an increasing number of genomes and metagenomes. Funding for curation of biological data is very limited if at all available, therefore we cannot support funding of other systems based on the manual work we do. Accordingly, if you need the data in order to perform comparative analysis, leading to publication or even populate other dbases you may have we are happy to continue providing you the GOLD data through excel.
GOLD became part of the DOE Joint Genome Institute.
GOLD v 3.0 is released.
The new features include:
- New improved Search Page, and Advanced Search page. Metadata search and configurable search are coming soon
- New search result tables, with the option of re-ordering of the columns
- New database entry point [gold.cgi page], with the addition of Google Earth map, and links to Statistics tables for Project Type, Sequencing Status and Phylogenetic distribution pages.
Coming up soon in extended v 3.0:
- Metadata Search and Custom (SQL) search
- Automatically generated graphical statistics
- Configurable search result pages
- Graphical presentation of Metadata on search results
July 20th, 2009
GOLD reaches tracking of 5000 projects.
June 15th, 2009
New GOLD CARD pages implemented
June 1st, 2009
GOLD metadata fields increase to 104. All metadata available for download.
April 10, 2009
DOE-JGI is the first sequencing center reaching 1,000 genome projects.
September 14, 2008
GOLD reaches tracking of 4000 projects.
April 20, 2008
GOLD Search page reorganization, new metadata search fields added.
January 20, 2008
GOLD Statistics page updated. Statistics data available for download.
January 12, 2008
1. New Metadata fields are available for download: oxygen requirement, cell shape, cell arrangement, motility, sporulation, energy source, temperature range, and salinity.
2. The new Metadata fields are also added in the search page
January 1, 2008
October 1, 2007
GOLD reaches tracking of 3000 projects.
September 15, 2007
Metagenome Project Classification
Search function is now available in the
September 1, 2007
All Archaeal and Bacterial Genome
Projects in GOLD are now also displayed on a hierarchical tree
based on NCBI's taxonomy. The
Trees are available on the front page of GOLD
August 15, 2007
Reorganization of all Metagenomic
Metagenome Ontology document
- Standardize Metagenone Project Name
- Implement Metagenome Project Classification (analogous to the Taxonomy of isolate Genomes)
- Implement Project and Sample information
August 1, 2007
New GOLD Fields are available for download: (a) pH, (b) Temperature, (c) Samples, (d) Project Status
July 15, 2007
1. New GOLD Fields are available for
Sequencing Method, (b) Sequencing depth and (c) StrainInfo.
2. Additional fields include 5
taxonomic levels from NCBI's taxonomy (SuperKingdom, Phylum,
Class, Order, Family and Genus)
3. Mapping of GOLD_STAMPS to
4. Ecotype has been renamed to
Habitat in compliance with
MIGS (Minimum Information About a Genome Sequence)
June 15, 2007
select GEBA under Relevance to see the current status of the
February 19, 2007
February 17, 2007
January 23, 2007
Complete and Published Genomes reach 500
November 9, 2006
GOLD-STAMP Pages are generated for all projects and links to the GOLD-STAMP IDs in every project
November 1, 2006
October 25, 2006
The field "COUNTRY" for each sequencing project is released
September 25, 2006
The new GOLD user interface is released
April 1, 2006
GOLD hits 2000 genome projects as it completes 9 years of history
March 9, 2006
Data in GOLD can now be easily downloaded on excel spreadsheet
from the front page (goldtable.txt
March 1, 2006
In agreement with the proposal of abandoning the term "Prokaryotes" we have split what used to be Prokaryotic Ongoing projects to Archaeal and Bacterial Ongoing Projects
January 1, 2006
November 25, 2005
August 20, 2005
GOLD v 2.0 is released, with the addition of datatypes such as Phenotypes, Ecotypes, and Project relevance
August 20, 2002
GOLD is transferred to IMBB
August 15, 2002
July 18, 2002
GOLD powered by Perl CGI scripts and Postgress RDBMS (Relational Database Management System)
GOLD hits 500 Genome projects
@Current Opinions in Genetics and Developmnet
July 10, 2000
June 9, 2000
April 5, 2000
March 24, 2000
February 25, 2000
February 24, 2000
November 9, 1999
@ Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 8, 611
Microbial Genomes Monitor mirrored @EBI
Microbial Genomes Monitor web page initiates @UIUC